50/50 Gender Split
When it comes to gender, the MBT gang is proud to boast a test staff that breaks down fairly evenly between men and women. We’re proud because ours is a sport often rife with claims of male dominance. As such, imagine our excitement to discover Skirt Sports: a fitness apparel brand designed specifically for women to add a little extra inspiration, style, and fun to the active lifestyle. In fact one such female athlete, triathlon specialist Nicole DeBoom, launched that brand back in 2004.
We had an opportunity to sample a bit of their cycling-specific gear in the form of the Cruiser Bike Girl skirt/ short and Short Sleeve Jersey (in attractive midori/black color scheme).
Let us take moment to tell you a little bit about the products themselves.
Cruiser BikeGirl Skirt - $86
- Pockets on each leg fit gels, spares or music player
- Music port-hole just under waistband so you don’t lift your skirt while listening to tunes
- Slightly higher in back to avoid “crack-factor” (SkirtSports says NO to Crack!)
- Women's specific pink foam chamois
- Skirt length: Front 14 1/2" Back 15"
Freeride Shortsleeve Jersey - $70
- Front length (size medium): 23.5 inches
- Back length (size medium): 25 inches
- Droptail hem gives your back ultimate aero protection
- Raglan short sleeves that won’t ride up
- Hour glass semi-compression mesh side panels create curves for the ladies who want ‘em and accentuate the curves for those who’ve got ‘em. Everyone wins!
- Three deep back pockets with reflective piping hold gels, phones, raingear tubes and more
- Reflective half zip with Skirt zipper pull
- Subtle, feminine mandarin collar
Skirt Sports isn’t just comfortable gear, it’s genuinely cool as well! Something about that cute skirt flowing around what could very well be the perfect pair of cycling shorts (with a very impressive chamois to boot) that evokes a burst of pep absent in all other gear I own.
Fit and finish are spot-on; as in easily rivaling if not superior to the quality to the type of gear coming from long-standing brands. No exaggeration in saying that this is clothing stylish, comfortable, and durable enough to give serious consideration to wearing to the trail head and to the post-ride café. Would it surprise you to discover that Skirt Sports also produces casual wear including dresses, visors, and beanies? After trying the product, I can state that I’m not surprised! Girls do yourselves a favor and check their catalog online, it’s good stuff!
As far as the jersey was concerned, I really like the cuts and fit. It’s comfortable and breathable with no rough or lumpy seams that could potentially rub you the wrong way. Again the kick-ass styling is just the icing on the cake with this stuff. It’s truly functional first and foremost with color schemes and styling cues that exist only to enhance the mental experience to both the wearer and those around you.
My one and only complaint surrounding the whole experience is that it would be great if bike shops stocked the entire line as it’s the type of gear that inspires spontaneous purchase and while ordering online is quite painless, sometimes a girl just wants to try em on, check herself in the mirror and part with some greenbacks. I love the product and can state with certainty that anyone else who happens to give it a try will feel the same.
The Skirt Sports site contains everything one would need to browse, price and order from their impressive and ever-growing product catalog and be accessed here: